Ethiopian man gets 9 years for Oregon Bank Robbery PORTLAND, Ore. (Associated Press) An Ethiopian man has been sentenced to 9 1/2 years in prison for a 2007 bank robbery at a branch located inside a Portland grocery store.The U.S. Attorney’s office said 32-year-old Mahmoud Ibrahim Gilani was sentenced Friday for the June 2007 armed robbery of the Rose City Branch of Bank of America, inside a Safeway store.Prosecutors said Gilani pointed a handgun at tellers and customers, pulled back the gun’s slide, and demanded money. The gunman was given nearly $7,000 in cash and fled from the building.Portland police arrested Gilani driving alone in a car a short distance away, carrying a 9mm semiautomatic pistol. An FBI investigation showed Gilani had robbed the same bank in April 2007. Immigration officials will decide whether Gilani should also be deported. (AP)
Maryland:Yeshtila sentenced to life in prison for 2000 murder.
Montgomery County Judge S. Gerald Corso Friday sentenced Yeshtila A. Ameshe, 35, of Adelphia, Md., to a mandatory life sentence without parole for the shooting death of Haregewene Bitew, 60. (Read more)
- The United States, China and Africa: Eyes on the prize Three concerns – Oil, China and The war on terror – are pushing the United States toward greater involvement in Africa.
- Meles warns coffee exporters against hoarding
- How sexual politics in the Episcopal Church affects churches in Africa
- The Economist cancels conference with gov’t
- Horn of Africa: International interest in region growing
- Air Ethiopia becomes operational